The Global Ecovillage Network (GEN) envisions a world of empowered citizens and communities, designing and implementing their own pathways to a sustainable future, and building bridges of hope and international solidarity.Network members share ideas and information, transfer technologies and develop cultural and educational exchanges.
Started in 2015 as ‘Pitchandikulam Outreach’, the GEN Auroville desk is currently based at Pitchandikulam Forest. The aims of the GEN office includes focus on building relationships with regional (GEN India and GENOA) and international networks, connecting communities and initiatives within Auroville, hosting GEN volunteers and exchange students, and enabling more GEN Ambassadors within Auroville. Having trialed a two day mini-EDE (Ecovillage Design Education) workshop with local youth in January 2016, the GEN desk is gearing up to design a full length EDE training course for Auroville and its bioregion.
Vision and Mission of GEN at Auroville
– Build and strengthen relationships with other national and international communities particularly the GENOA (GEN Oceania and Asia) network.
– Helping develop an effective and relevant curriculum for an EDE training course in different contexts whether rural or urban but particularly for Global South challenges, using Auroville and bioregional experiences as tools for transformation.This would be done working with other organizations and training initiatives in and around Auroville such as Youth Link, Campus Initiative and the Sustainable Livelihood institute.
– Facilitate exchange programs and to set up a fund to support these exchanges
– Creating spaces to welcome people moving between ecovillages and to create youth lead educational experiences
– Creating a resource point for other communities to understand what Auroville has to offer and also for Auroville to be aware of skills available elsewhere in the network
– Work towards the 2018 February target (AV 50th anniversary) to invite GENOA/GEN international to a humble GEN event in Auroville .
– Eventually GEN becomes a part of AVI long term with Auroville GEN International
offices in different ecovillages around the world.
The GEN office can be contacted at email@example.com